Advice and health
SOURCE OF VITAMIN C
In addition to their sweet and refreshing flavour, oranges are also very important because of their health benefits, particularly because of their vitamin C content, which is vital for cold prevention.
The human body can’t produce vitamin C on its own. Vitamin C not only helps to stimulate the human immune system, but it also prevents heart diseases and promotes wound healing, tissue formation and iron absorption. One of the best ways to get the right amount of vitamin C is to drink fresh orange juice or eat an eating orange straight after peeling it.
Beta-carotene contained in Valencian oranges is an antioxidant that helps to prevent cell damage caused by free radicals, which are responsible, among other things, for ageing and certain degenerative diseases.
Thanks to pectin, their fibre content can be very useful for reducing cholesterol levels. Oranges are also associated with the prevention of some types of cancer, such as stomach and oesophageal cancer.
Valencian oranges are one of the fruits people of all ages prefer when choosing a juice or eating fruit after each meal or at breakfast each morning.
But these are just some of the reasons why it is important to eat oranges. You can find out about some of this fruit’s other properties below:
- A medium-sized orange with only 65 calories, making it an excellent snack option.
- If you’re concerned about fat, you should know that oranges don’t contain a single gram.
- Their high fibre content has a satisfying effect that can last for several hours, helping to calm your craving for food if you have it as a snack between meals.
- Oranges provide nearly 12% of the recommended daily intake (RDI) of folic acid. This B vitamin is particularly important for women during pregnancy.
TIPS FOR KEEPING ORANGES FRESH
- Find a place to store the fruit: it is important for it to be properly ventilated and cool. This will extend the life of your oranges at home.
- It is necessary to take them out of the cardboard, which doesn’t allow for sufficient transpiration. Containers made of natural fibres, such as wicker and hemp, are the best option. You can also divide the fruits into several fruit bowls if you don’t have anything else.
- It is important not to wash oranges for storage since humidity accelerates the fruit decay process.
- It is not advisable to store them in the fridge, as it reduces the quality of the product, but sometimes there is no other option. However, only keep the orange in the fridge if you have cut it or if you are going to take a long time to eat it, since the cold will delay the ripening of the fruit. You need to be careful with the humidity in the fridge and low temperatures, since oranges might freeze. If you decide to keep them in the fridge, it is important to put them inside a closed container where dampness can’t get in. To keep them dry, you can put a clean cloth or kitchen towel inside.